Sound of Silence

When you’ve known it wrong all these years and you were sure it was a lie, how often do you travel far to meet someone who appears in the end of your list to attain a better understanding?


Dark and cold, away from Home.

A passionate journey with uncertainties

presently takes me far beyond the stretches 

of civilisations that curb my imagination.


I knew a small recursive world with Home

and earnestly hope there’s no return.

I will cherish my blissful time here

then keep moving further away from Home.


Home - what a dark and despicable instance!

She diffused colours to my prosaic life.

She murdered my senses and forced my breath.

I lost my mind and was in a deadly trance.


Now I seek solace in the presence of Void.

She speaks of my real home and purpose,

untangles the strings and describes my origins

I let me be my prior renowned self


I love it here with my senses reborn.

I can hear the sound of silence,

distinctively see the rays of darkness 

and shudder at the touch of absence.


I choose to remain with Void.

I can taste her cold heart beat.

I just need to keep breathing,

until she and I are one for eternity.


Let me explain

The speaker is on a journey. He is uncertain of the route and destination. He believes that he will reach a place which allows him the freedom to imagine beyond limits set by the traditions, politics, laws and environment altered according to the will of man. He had perfectly adapted to the conditions of where he lived. He calls it home. He feels the world has lost all creativity and is stuck with several actions and goals that are repetitive in nature. He is travelling away from home and enjoys it. He wishes to just keep moving away from the place he does not belong anymore. Home introduced several emotions and exoticism which the society forced him to live with. He even thought it was all true. Now he moves towards Void.

Home and Void are personified. The speaker holds Home responsible for his losing of senses. He feels cheated by the acts of Home which he initially thought was great. He now hopes to be comforted by Void. She explains his life and he is able to understand now. After having understood enough, he realises that his personality, before it was polluted by human intervention, was truly wonderful. He is able to appreciate things that he totally had misunderstood because the society chose to. Now that he has recognised his trustworthy and reliable source of revelation, he decides to stay with Void. He is happy to realise his reality and hopes to be like Void some day. 

The speaker is on a journey - a transition from life to death. As he is preparing to leave everything he knew well, he recalls how he ended up doing and being things that he wouldn’t have if not for the society. He feels that his dreams and desires where crushed and he was living someone else’s dream. He admits that Home induced colours into his life but that was not what he wanted. He was forced to believe that it was the best. When he knows that his time is near, he realises that he could have done something different and he was destined to be something different. He gradually picks up clues from his life with which he projects his alternate possibilities of life. He is satisfied in his mind and convinced with his initial self. He is now proud of his start much more than his ending. He realises the potential he has wasted by being what others wanted him to be. He is able to “hear the sound of silence, distinctively see the ray of darkness and shudder at the touch of absence.” He can now observe things that he had ignored all his life. All the things that nature taught him had another perspective which he can now comprehend. He realises that this world is just a temporary place. 

As it gets darker and colder he finds that death is here. He is pleased to move on. He realises that what he had been before being introduced into the world, is what he will be, after he leaves it. Although cold, his is touched by some “heart beat” - some sense of hope. He is not concerned about another chance and he patiently awaits death. He will keep breathing until he transforms into nothingness. This is a mind of someone who feels he hasn’t accomplished anything. A feeling one get when one tries to maintain the status quo and forget to live.

Comments

Popular Posts