Traveller

 

Those who taste victory will have taken great risks; Not everyone who take risk emerge victorious.


“Brother, do not go the land-way!”

I am tired of listening to him say.

I have ventured for long in the vast ocean.

I know the seas better than anyone.


All his life, he has remained here

Whereas I am an experienced traveller.

“Beyond the horizon…” can he ever imagine?

I know all and am sure of what is to be done.


Now, I have decided in my mind.

I will travel there and touch the land.

I crave the feeling of accomplishment. 

I could go on for miles to be content.


“Ah, finally land!” I was overwhelmed.

“Since I’ve seen, I will now touch the land.

I am huge, but still higher I will reach

when I am in the proximity of the beach.”


As I moved closer, I turned back to see

my brother screaming, “Come back to me!”

Frightened, I tried to turn back and return

but it was too late by then and I’ve learned:


I reached my pinnacle like never before

as I approached the land. I touched the shore.

When I was starting to return, painfully

I realised it was now beyond my ability.


I was a sea-wave so strong-willed

yet to my brother I should have listened.

now I am buried in the sand 

like the many other waves who touched the land.


Let me explain

The speaker is a personified sea wave. The poem opens with a warning from his brother asking him to stay away from the land. His experience juxtaposed with that of his brother sea-wave, clearly indicates that he was sure that he knew enough. He believed he is capable and his brother is just being overprotective. He underestimated his brother of having low ambitions and being too cautious. He finally decided to touch the land and went towards his goal. He rose to be a giant wave much bigger than his brother and the rest. He enjoyed being near the land. The current made his reconciliation with his brother impossible. He didn’t know well enough that his trip was unidirectional; he could not go back. He met his end as he touched the land and he was filled with regret. There were many others with him on his adventurous journey to land. He might have been confident to have some company but they too perish likewise.

We are often warned by different people. Our prejudiced mindset decides how relevant they are to us notwithstanding the weight of the matter. We often pay attention to the same warning if it is from someone we hold in a high position in our minds. Gradually, we blindly believe and trust them and their words, but disregard everyone else's opinion.

Adventures are great. We must be exercise caution to consider all the risks and maybe exchange fun for safety. In our prime, we tend to overestimate ourselves as capable of several things. However great we are, our end will always be the end. Adventurous people take huge risks which bring them an exotic lifestyle. Sometimes, when you gamble wildly, you might lose dearly. Living a life of great imbalance and being involved in acts most dangerous, might bring you very interesting company. Everyone might give each other the required confidence, but nearing the reality is another thing. Does it really matter, when you are facing assured death, if there are many to accompany you?

Comments

Popular Posts